Monday 8 March 2010

Pictograph!

Had a bit of a discussion with a few people about this project this morning.
Ideas galore! Well, kind of. Basically, everyone really liked the ideas and thoughts behind my info-graphics, but, (and I agree) they're a bit dull looking, and have been done before by other people. Also, everyone really liked my machinery drawings, although (and I agree) they don't really have a point.
So, it makes sense to try and to combine the two!

I got to thinking about other ways of measuring the noise we're exposed to, I decided not to analyse individual noises, and instead measure different overall decibel levels in different places, quiet and loud.
Getting a decibel meter is a ridiculous hassle, but I'm working on it.

So till then, I've mocked this up - a fake graph of sound levels at the library. It's made up of the contents of the library, and the peaks are the specific things that cause the noises.
The drawings are extremely crude, and this is a really really rough mock up, just to give me an idea of how it could work.
This isn't amazing, but I think done properly, with real decibel readings, proper time consuming drawings (properly scanned in, not just photographed) and a nicer measurement system... it could be good. We shall see...
Sorry for low quality and unclickable image, I have to use safari at uni, and for some reason it won't let me upload at high quality. I'll put a better version up when I get home.


And yes, I appreciate that there's little point to this. I guess I'm just trying different ways of investigating how much sound we're exposed to on a daily basis, and conveying that in visual form. I'm wondering whether I should be making some kind of point about whether the noise levels are a good thing or a bad thing, but I don't really know myself!

No comments: