Tuesday 20 October 2009

More ideas...

About that wall sculpture thing.
We had an update on the brief which said it should include text.
I was sick of that tubes idea anyway, it was nice, but frustrating to try and construct, and would have been highly impractical.

This new idea... well, think of it as the most super classy elegant neon sign ever.
The text would say 'University of Brighton', 'Faculty of art and design', and 'Grand Parade', and these three would alternate, sometimes layer over each other, 'write' in and out, fade in and out and generally create gorgeous patterns...

Here were initial drawings on the lightbox...


And layered up on the lightbox.


I imagine in the final sign the lines would be white neon/strip light, shone through frosted glass to create a slightly misty effect. I tried to simulate this by creating a cut out, and holding it up to a lit computer screen...


And then holding a piece of tracing paper just in front...


I tried some different colour backlights too, mmm! The final thing will almost certainly be white though.




This all looks quite crude, and I'm concerned the text is a bit too 'coca cola'esque, but I've had fun doing it. The final thing would be a lot more slick. I really like the idea of the text swirling in like it's being handwritten, if you know what I mean.
Anyway anyway anyway...
I still have flu, OK!

No comments: