Wednesday 27 July 2011

Minglin'

Well now. This was TWO WEEKS ago! Bit late on the blogging, and for that I apologise.
The opening night of the Haiku exhibition which I took part in was an delight.


You can read a bit more background to the show here

The venue was the Maison Bertaux in Soho, which has in the past played host to various creative types, perhaps most notably The Mighty Boosh's Noel Fielding, whose vibrant, surreal paintings are perhaps best known for their part in the Mighty Boosh DVDs and books.

The actual gallery is in the basement - the upstairs street level is a delightful little patisserie, which was a strange combination of granny-like charm, and neon/feathers/glitter which wouldn't have been out of place in an episode of the Mighty Boosh.



I had a ridiculously jammy biscuit.


Anyway, the show itself was very well curated and hung, with the poems displayed in black frames, and the accompanying artworks surrounding them in pale wood frames. The artworks were varied, with Bonnie Friend's beautiful traditional illustrations contrasted with Chrissie Cant's more abstract interpretations, and my somewhat non-unified, varied attempts.


Overall, a lovely little show to be part of, and if any of you DID make it over there to see it... thanks :)

Here I am (Right, very sunburnt, pulling silly face) with my friends Rosie and Hannah... Thanks especially to Hannah, Rosie and Michael (who took this picture!) for coming along to keep me company!

2 comments:

Lucy said...

Argh this looks so awesome, I wish I could've come :( COngrats!

You've prob guessed from the influx of random comments that I've rediscovered your blog! I have returned to blogging since I just can't get the hang of twitter :/

I noticed that you link to me on your sidebar (thank you!!) but it's to my old blog that I can't access any more (grr) so um i was wondering if it's not too much trouble if you could update it?
Miss you and Brighton x

Emma said...

Hey, thanks! :)
And thank you for all the comments, I like it!

I've fixed your link now x