Saturday 30 April 2011

I see you drivin' round town with the girl I love and I'm like: haiku~

My friend Danny writes poems.
He asked for anyone who was interested to consider illustrating one of his haikus. I decided to get started on this one...

Woman in purple,
Eats blueberries one by one.
Pink lips.  Black hair.  Eyes..?

I guess poetry is a very subjective thing, and it brings to mind different imagery for everyone who reads it. This immediately reminded me of blackberry picking as a child, arriving home with fingers stained blue and purple from the berries - as an adult, whenever I eat berries and get stained fingers, I feel like a child again. The richness of the colours delights me.

So I decided to go with this idea of berries, fingers and the deep, rich colours. Here are some of my initial experiments...



And here is my final illustration.
Danny wants another version with the text somehow incorporated, which is always a challenge, as I hadn't originally envisaged this. Here are a couple of attempts, but that aspect is still very much working progress.



No comments: