It's about time I showed you a worky kind of update.
I have been doing quite a lot in my spare time, but for most of it I've not been in a position to show you.
I'm currently on an internship with Crush, and this is some work I've been doing with them.
This project is to design the cover for a fairly new publishing company's bi-annual catalouge, this one, spring 2011. As I mentioned in my previous post, I do feel quite out of my depth with Crush. They're really very good, and I'm still learning. I've really figured that I'm unlikely to get a job with them, so I might as well spend my time there experimenting and pushing myself, and maybe I'll produce all rubbish, but maybe I'll produce one thing to really impress them.
Currently... I don't think I've done either rubbish, or something amazing... but I'm quite enjoying myself, so that's ok.
My first idea was illustration based... basically just a mass of books. Here's the illustration, and a couple of variations on that.
Another idea began considering the combination of spring, and books. I started creating flowers based on open books on their ends, but in the end they didn't look much like flowers. I quite like it, but it's not really good enough.
Another little idea, simply creating some interesting abstract forms out of book pages.
Finally, this idea, of wrapping objects in pages of books. The objects would represent the varied subject matter of the books put out by the publisher - for example, a rose for romance, a gun for crime, a plane for travel, and so on...
Ultimately this would be a 3D construction, which would be photographed, but as this is just the ideas stage, we needed some visuals to show to the client which would express the idea without us actually having to build the thing. This was what I tried to achieve here (twice, because I was enjoying it :D)... I'm not sure how well it works, but I've learnt some new things doing it, and I think the results are interesting.
So there we go. More to come soon, on different projects.