Tuesday 10 March 2009

Hissing Fauna, are you the Destroyer?


This is probably my favourite project I did in the first year of uni, but it's only now that I've got around to photographing it properly.
We were asked to design a CD booklet for a CD of our choice... I chose what was, at the time, my favourite album - Of Montreal's 'Hissing Fauna, are you the Destroyer?'
If you don't know it, I can't recommend it highly enough. A fascinating album, on many levels, based around the lead singers struggles with depression. If you weren't to listen to the lyrics, this wouldn't necessarily be immediately apparent, the album sounds sometimes joyful, sometimes manic, with a dark edge, but often a subtle one. With this in mind, I didn't want to create something too overtly dark... I wanted something a little bit less obvious than lots of black...

I was interested in how depression is sort of like a forest. I've been lucky enough never to experience full blown depression in my life, but in the few times where I've really struggled to pick myself up from gloom, I find it almost like a metaphorical forest, dark, and seemingly endless, with trees pressing in from all sides. I took this idea on further to create my final idea.
Used mixed media, a letterpressed cover and recurring tree sort of themes, I produced something which I found both pleasing, and I feel, accurately represents how the music makes me feel. So, there we go.






No comments: