Wednesday, 30 September 2009

'Broken Britain'

A cheery new start of term project about how Britain is broken. For me, it's turned into a bit of an alcohol rant... For anyone who doesn't know, I'm teetotal. People always ask why... well, numerous reasons.
I fail to understand how people find it enjoyable to drink stuff which, often, they don't even like the taste of (I certainly don't), in order to get to a point where they can't remember what happened, vomit freely, stagger about, incapable of finding their way home, all because they think it's impossible to have 'fun' without drinking...
Rant over.
Well actually no, not rant over, rant just beginning. I'm going to make a beautifully bound book full of pictures of Brighton after the fresher's pub crawl. Next to these pictures will be quotes I took from a Facebook group for people who like to get 'fukin hammered'. It should also be entitled 'a facebook group for people with limited grasp of grammar and vowels', but that's another rant entirely...

I hope that by contrasting these horrible pictures with the stupid quotes, it will bring to light the sheer ridiculousness of this obsession with poisoning our bodies.
I would like to state - I'm not anti alcohol... I'm perfectly in favour of a civilised glass of wine with a meal, a couple of pints after work with friends, it's not for me, but that's fine.
What I'm against is the culture of drinking for no reason other than to be drunk.
This is only one element of 'broken britain', as the Sun defines it, but I believe it to be a very central aspect.

Here are some of the pictures.






My plan is, as I said, for them to be incorporated into a beautifully bound book, with quotes, page spreads along these lines:


Incidentally, I have a phobia of vomit. Going out around the streets and taking pictures of the remains of last nights drunken puke is one of the last things I'd have imagined myself doing - normally I skirt round them and feel my heart beating faster (I know, it's an illogical fear)... but oddly, by disassociating them with what they are, and looking at them from a purely visual angle, I didn't actually struggle to do this too much. Still, most of them have been cleaned up a bit... I still run at the sight of fresh sick. Ugh ugh ugh.

No comments: